Qualified Charitable Distributions
If you’re 70-1/2 or older, you can donate up to $100,000 per tax year directly from an Individual Retirement Account (IRA) to qualified nonprofits like Friends of the Children.
Qualified Charitable Distributions (QCD), also known as IRA gifts or IRA charitable rollovers, are a great way to support our important work and allow your dollars to go further: QCDs may be excluded from your taxable income and qualify towards your required minimum distribution (RMD).
Your charitable gift will provide vital support for our organization as well as tax benefits for you and your family. Every dollar invested in Friends of the Children works to break the cycle of generational poverty and help children who face multiple systemic obstacles thrive.
What are the benefits of an IRA Qualified Charitable Distribution?
• Avoid taxes on transfers of up to $100,000 from your IRA to our organization.
• Satisfy your required minimum distribution (RMD) for the year.
• Reduce your taxable income, even if you do not itemize deductions.
• Make a gift that is not subject to the deduction limits on charitable gifts.
• Help further the work and mission of our organization.
What are the Qualified Charitable Distribution rules?
• You must be 70-1/2 or older at the time of gifting your IRA to a qualified nonprofit organization.
• You may distribute up to $100,000 in a calendar year to one or more public nonprofit organizations. The distribution must be completed by December 31st of that year.
• Your IRA administrator must make the distribution directly to the charity, or you may write a check to the charity from your IRA checkbook. Funds that are withdrawn by you and then contributed do not qualify.
• For additional information on QCDs, please contact your financial advisor or IRA plan administrator.
How to make an IRA Qualified Charitable Distribution gift:
1. Contact your IRA plan administrator to make a gift from your IRA to us.
• Organization Name: Friends of the Children
• Federal Tax ID #: 93-1300690
2. Your IRA funds will be directly transferred to our organization to help continue our important work.
• Please help us credit your gift, honor intent, and thank you by including your full name and mailing address on the gift.
• Please also have your administrator note that the transfer is an IRA Qualified Charitable Distribution.
3. Please contact Shanna LaMar, Chief Development Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or if you wish for your gift to be used for a specific purpose.